Saturday, July 22, 2006

ducks in a row

I've got a new team and role at work.

In the first week, I felt odd - something wasn't quite right. I felt, well, out of control. I couldn't work it out. I've been the lead on two previous projects and I knew that I could manage those. What was it that was giving me that uneasy feeling...?

On Thursday last week, I worked it out:

I was blind.

I couldn't "see" what the project was doing. I could fumble around and get bits of information, but not a decent overview.

So, I took the project and shook it about. I pushed it until I got what I wanted from it - visibility. I got my ducks in a row.

From then on, I've been feeling much better.

It's amazing how decent reporting has made everything much, much better.

I wholly recommend that if you're managing a project that you spend some time getting the right information at your fingertips. Once you do that, you'll be much happier.

No comments: